Día de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, is a Mexican holiday celebrated on November 1st and 2nd. It is a time to remember and honor loved ones who have passed away. The holiday is full of rich traditions and symbolism, including special foods.
Gordo’s Foodservice is your one stop shop for Hispanic ingredients. Visit our product catalog to make traditional Hispanic dishes for customers for the occasion like:
- Pan de muerto is a sweet bread that is often decorated with sesame seeds and sugar to resemble bones and skulls. It is a symbol of death and rebirth, and is believed to help the spirits of loved ones find their way back to the living world.
- Mole is a complex and flavorful sauce that is made with a variety of ingredients, such as chocolate, chili peppers, and spices. It is often served over chicken, turkey, or pork, and is a symbol of abundance and nourishment.
- Tamales are made with masa harina, a type of corn flour, and fillings such as meat, cheese, or vegetables. They are wrapped in corn husks and steamed until cooked through. Tamales are a symbol of life and sustenance, and are believed to provide the spirits of loved ones with the energy they need to travel back and forth from the afterlife.
- Pozole is a hearty soup that is made with hominy, a type of corn kernel, and meat such as chicken or pork. It is often topped with cabbage, onions, and radishes. Pozole is a symbol of community and togetherness, and is often shared with family and friends during Día de los Muertos celebrations.
- Calabaza en tacha is a candied pumpkin dish that is a popular Día de los Muertos dessert. It is made with pumpkin, sugar, and spices, and is often served with cinnamon and ice cream. Calabaza en tacha is a symbol of sweetness and abundance, and is believed to represent the eternal life of the soul.
Día de los Muertos is a beautiful and unique Hispanic holiday that celebrates the cycle of life and death. It’s a time for families and communities to come together to remember and honor their loved ones who have passed away. The holiday is full of rich traditions and symbolism, and is a reminder that death is a natural part of life. No matter how you choose to celebrate, Gordo’s Foodservice has the ingredients and products you need to make your Día de los Muertos celebration special.